You have created a nice dashboard in Excel? Or a beautiful Profit and Loss calculation? Now, you want to bring it to the next level: Insert the sum or total sign, the Greek character sigma: Σ. In general mathematics, uppercase Σ is used as an operator for summation. Here is how to quickly do this in Excel!
The fastest method for Windows: Professor Excel Tools
This is the fastest method: Go to the Professor Excel ribbon, click on the drop-down arrow of “Insert Symbol” and then on the total sign sigma Σ.
Just download and install the Excel-add-in Professor Excel Tools and see if it works for you.
This function is included in our Excel Add-In ‘Professor Excel Tools’
(No sign-up, download starts directly)
More than 35,000 users can’t be wrong.
Insert Total Sign (Σ) in Windows
Method 1 in Windows
The “traditional” way to insert the operator of summation sigma in Windows is through the Insert Symbol window:
- On the Insert ribbon, click “Symbol” (the right-most button).
- In the Symbol window, select “Unicode (hex)” in the from field.
- Type 03A3 into the “Character code” field. You should now see the Greek character sigma selected above.
- Click on Insert to insert the symbol into the cell or chart.
Method 2 in Windows
Probably not as beautiful, but it usually works: Alternatively, just copy and paste it from here.
Have you ever built an app based on Excel?
Insert Total Sign (Σ) in Mac
It’s almost the same in Mac OS as in Windows, but the window looks a bit different. Still, you have to go to the Insert ribbon and click on Symbol on the right-hand side:
- On the Insert ribbon, click on Symbol (on the right-hand side).
- In the Character Viewer, go to Mathematical Symbols.
- Insert the Σ by double-clicking on it.
Add the Greek Letter Sigma to a chart
You want to show the operator of summation Σ on a chart? It works the same way as described above. The only difference: Insert a text field first.
In order to do this, select your chart. Then go to the Insert ribbon. On the right-hand side, click on the button “Text Box” and draw it onto the chart. Now, you can simply copy & paste or insert the total sign Σ there.