The “normal” way to delete the content of a cell is by pressing “Del” on the keyboard. But what if you want to delete the formatting and comments as well? In this article we learn how to clear all – not only the cell contents but also the formatting and contents in Excel.
Steps to clear all
Instead of just pressing “Del”, do the following steps (the numbers are corresponding to the picture above):
- Select the cells which you want to clear.
- Go to the “Home” ribbon.
- Click on “Clear” (it’s quite hidden on the right hand side of the screen).
- Click on “Clear All”.
Now your cells look “new”, without any formatting, contents or comments.
Instead of deleting all, you also got the following options:
- Removing just the formats. Your default format (usually Font Calibri) will be applied.
- Clear the contents. The result is the same as pressing Del on the keyboard (or Fn + Back on a Mac).
- Delete the comments of all selected cells.
- Remove the hyperlinks if there are any.